Horatio’s Garden RNOH will be a contemporary, high profile garden designed by award winning landscape and garden designer, Tom Stuart-Smith. The Head Gardener will be responsible for delivering a beautiful space for patients of the spinal injury centre and their visitors to use, whilst they come to terms with life-changing injuries. The role will involve the maintenance of the garden, the coordination of charitable and therapeutic activities, the management of the volunteer team and the line management of an Administrative Assistant. The Head Gardener will report to the Director of Operations and to the Garden Designer.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Practical experience as a gardener, including experience of garden management
• Empathic, kind and have a love of people
• Experience of leading and managing teams.
• Presentational experience.
• Experience in safe use and maintenance of a wide range of horticultural machinery.
• Able to manage budgets and petty cash.
• Driver’s licence and own car
• RHS Level 2 Diploma in Principles and Practices of Horticulture.
• Post Graduate Diploma in Social and Therapeutic Horticulture.
• Experience of therapeutic activities.
• Management of, and working with, volunteers.
• Sale of goods and/or plants.
• Good IT skills, specifically proficient with Microsoft Office 365: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams.
• Digital photography.
• Control of stock.
• Supplier management and ordering.
• Working in the voluntary sector.
• NHS experience or work in a health care setting.
• Able to meet the physical demands of the job.
• Willingness to show commitment and flexibility in working practice.
• Self-motivated and capable of working with the minimum of direction but understanding the limits of your knowledge and able to seek advice when required.
Initial interviews will be conducted on or 13/14 May 2020.
The post will be available from May 2020 to coincide with planting the garden. The role is flexible for 4 Days/30 hours per week. Salary is £22-24,000 depending on experience (approx £30,000 FTE) plus a London Allowance of £2,300 p.a.